Travelling to the John Smith's Grand National
Aintree Racecourse is located on the A59, just one mile from the M57 and M58, which link the M62 and M6. Follow the A59 to Liverpool and the AA signs as you approach the racecourse for routes to the car parks.
The nearest mainline station to Aintree is Liverpool Lime Street. Liverpool Central Station is just a short walk from Lime Street, and from here you can catch a train to Aintree which is only a 2 minute walk away from the racecourse. Racegoers can buy their rail tickets to Aintree in advance at any Merseyrail station. Trains depart from Liverpool Central every 7 and a half minutes during the John Smith's Grand National, and every fifteen minutes on racedays outside of the Grand National. It takes fifteen minutes to get to Aintree on the train, and Aintree Station is directly opposite the racecourse.
Merseyrail offer two great value tickets for off-peak travel both of these can be bought in advance or on the day at any Merseyrail Station :
- £4.70 All Zone Day Saver that allows you to travel unlimited anywhere on our network from 9.30am. Geographically this covers from Chester, West Kirby, New Brighton, Ormskirk, Southport and Hunts Cross.
- £3.50 C Zone All Day Saver that allows you to travel unlimited anywhere on our network from 9.30am. Geographically this covers from Crosby, Maghull, Kirkby, and Hunts Cross
For more travel information, and to purchase tickets at the Racecourse on the day, please visit our Aintree Information Centre by the Parade Ring, where Mersey Travel and Mersey Rail have staff who can help you plan your journey.
Aintree can be reached by bus on services: 300, 311, 345, 350 and 351 both to and from Liverpool. From Bootle New Strand take route 61A. For further information on bus routes, contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.merseytravel.gov.uk.
- From South Leave M6 at J21A and join M62 west. Leave M62 at J6 to join M57, follow signs for races.
- From North Leave M6 at J26 and join M58, follow signs for races.
- From Mersey Tunnels Follow signs for Preston, then for A59, then signs for races.
Limited on-course parking is available for the Grand National meeting. This can be booked by calling our Booking Line on 0844 579 3001.
Other than Steeplechase and County Car Parking, there is no other car parking in and around Aintree Racecourse. Buses, taxis, private hire and trains all operate to Aintree and special arrangements have been made for them. Please see the sections relating to train, taxi and bus travel for more information on these services.
Please note there is no Park and Ride service for 2013.
Aintree address for SatNav users
Liverpool John Lennon Airport is the nearest airport to the racecourse and is a 20-minute drive by road. Alternatively, take a bus to Liverpool South Parkway Merseyrail station where you can catch a train to Aintree [change at Liverpool Central or Moorfields onto the Ormskirk train]. The journey takes approximately 1 hour. Manchester Airport is approximately a 45-minute drive by road.
- Rail enquiries 08457 48 49 50
- Traveline 0871 200 22 33
- Liverpool John Lennon Airport 0870 750 8484 or www.liverpoolairport.com
- National Rail Enquiries 08457 484 950 or www.nationalrail.co.uk
- Merseytravel 0871 200 2233 or www.merseytravel.gov.uk
- National Express 0870 580 8080 or www.nationalexpress.com
Choosing the right accommodation is an important part of enjoying your time in the region for the John Smith’s Grand National meeting. From 4*city centre hotels to guest houses, serviced apartments and B&B’s, there is a range of accommodation available for your budget. Please do book early to make sure you can take advantage of the best deals available.
- Book accommodation at: www.visitliverpool.com/grandnational
- Call Liverpool Tourist Accommodation booking service on: (+44) (0) 844 8700 123 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When making your booking, please inform our sales advisors of any special access requirements you have so that we can advise you on your enclosure choice and arrange for any assistance that you may require. Call 0844 579 3001 or click here for a brief summary of our disabled access.
To view PDF files you will require Adobe Reader