02.04.09 - THE GRAND NATIONAL
THE 2009 JOHN SMITH'S GRAND NATIONAL FINAL DECLARATIONS - THE TOP 40 ALL GO FORWARD - FOUR RESERVES NAMED
Class 1, Grade 3, £900,000 total Prize Fund. 4.15pm, Aintree, Saturday, April 4, 2009.
For six-year-olds old and upwards which are allotted a rating of 110 or more by the BHA Head of Handicapping following a review of the horses entered and after taking account of races run up to and including February 8, 2009. Horses which are not qualified for a rating in Great Britain or Ireland at January 27, 2009, may also be entered. Such horses may be eligible for a weight providing the Handicapper is satisfied that the horse's racecourse performances to February 8, 2009, would merit a minimum rating of 110. To qualify horses must have run at least three times in Steeple Chases run under the Rules of Racing of the same Recognised Turf Authority up to and including February 8, 2009. At the Handicapper's discretion such horses may be allocated a rating. The decision of the BHA Head of Handicapping shall be final. No penalties after publication of the weights. Highest weight 11st 10lb. Entries closed January 27, entries revealed January 28 (123 entries), weights revealed February 10 (61 in handicap, 3 scratched), first forfeit stage February 24 (106 remained), second forfeit stage March 17 (88 remained). Five-day confirmation stage Monday, March 30 (74 remained), final declaration stage 10.00am, April 2 (40 declared & four reserves). Form figures supplied by Weatherbys and are correct up to and including the racing of Sunday, March 29.
Form Horse Age/Wgt Owner Trainer Jockey
1) 16-0431F CLOUDY LANE 9-11-10 Trevor Hemmings Donald McCain Jnr Jason Maguire
2) 61U1F234 CHELSEA HARBOUR (IRE) 9-11-08 Frances Duffin Tom Mullins IRE Emmet Mullins
3) 332-56F2 SNOWY MORNING (IRE) 9-11-08 Quayside Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE Andrew McNamara
4) 16UP-100 KNOWHERE (IRE) 11-11-07 Raymond Mould Nigel Twiston-Davies Paddy Brennan
5) P211-P00 COMPLY OR DIE (IRE) 10-11-06 David Johnson David Pipe Timmy Murphy
6) 40-255550 OLLIE MAGERN 11-11-06 Roger Nicholls Nigel Twiston-Davies Mr Sam Waley-Cohen
7) 4-2P51P04P STAN (NZ) 10-11-06 Paul Beck Venetia Williams Aidan Coleman
8) 20F2-P151 BLACK APALACHI (IRE) 10-11-05 Gerard Burke Dessie Hughes IRE Denis O’Regan
9) 501-556U HEAR THE ECHO (IRE) 8-11-05 Gigginstown House Stud Mouse Morris IRE Davy Russell
10) 140-0F10 PREISTS LEAP (IRE) 9-11-05 John D O'Donohue Tom O'Leary IRE Philip Enright
11) 32023/-55 MY WILL (FR) 9-11-04 The Stewart Family Paul Nicholls Ruby Walsh
12) 411P/1P/- EUROTREK (IRE) 13-11-03 Paul Green Paul Nicholls Sam Thomas
13) 2560-14 STATE OF PLAY 9-11-02 William & Angela Rucker Evan Williams Paul Moloney
14) 2-322U13 BIG FELLA THANKS 7-11-01 Paul Barber & Maggie Findlay Paul Nicholls Christian Williams
15) 00-210200 MON MOME (FR) 9-11-00 Vida Bingham Venetia Williams Liam Treadwell
16) F/02421/-0 SILVER BIRCH (IRE) 12-11-00 Brian Walsh (Co. Kildare) Gordon Elliott IRE Robbie Power
17) 03F-0005 BUTLER'S CABIN (FR) 9-10-13 J P McManus Jonjo O'Neill Tony McCoy
18) 1111/U2-2 OFFSHORE ACCOUNT (IRE) 9-10-13 Brian Polly Charlie Swan IRE David Casey
19) 23/54-1P PARSONS LEGACY (IRE) 11-10-12 Rodney Offer Philip Hobbs Richard Johnson
20) F0612/-P0 REVEILLEZ 10-10-12 J P McManus Jonjo O'Neill Mark Walsh
21) 00146P6P FUNDAMENTALIST (IRE) 11-10-11 Colin Cornes Nigel Twiston-Davies David England
22) 1/P133/3-0 GOLDEN FLIGHT (FR) 10-10-11 John & Barbara Cotton Nicky Henderson Barry Geraghty
23) 03F0-4212 L'AMI (FR) 10-10-11 J P McManus Enda Bolger IRE Robert Thornton
24) 332-245P BATTLECRY 8-10-10 Trevor Hemmings Nigel Twiston-Davies Tom Scudamore
25) P00-F120 CORNISH SETT (IRE) 10-10-10 Peter Hart Paul Nicholls Nick Scholfield
26) 042-P610 FLEET STREET 10-10-10 Henry Ponsonby Nicky Henderson Andrew Tinkler
27) 1222100 MUSICA BELLA (FR) 9-10-10 Jean-Paul Senechal Francois Cottin FR Philip Carberry
28) 63-111314 CAN'T BUY TIME (IRE) 7-10-09 J P McManus Jonjo O'Neill Noel Fehily
29) 113P//-3P1 DARKNESS 10-10-09 Lady Lloyd-Webber Charles Egerton Wayne Hutchinson
30) F323111 IRISH INVADER (IRE) 8-10-09 Sackcloth & Ashes Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE Paul Townend
31) 46-56511 RAMBLING MINSTER 11-10-09 The Lingdale Optimists Keith Reveley James Reveley
32) 5F/-06U343 SOUTHERN VIC (IRE) 10-10-09 Brenda Graham Ted Walsh IRE Niall Madden
33) 20P-1112 KILBEGGAN BLADE 10-10-07 Kevin & Anne Doocey Tom George Graham Lee
34) 4124021 BROOKLYN BROWNIE (IRE) 10-10-06 Kieren Gaffney & Neil Stevenson Malcolm Jefferson Phil Kinsella
35) 1-P504P0 HIMALAYAN TRAIL 10-10-06 Anne Gittins Jimmy Mangan IRE Paddy Flood
36) 3/00010-0 ARTEEA (IRE) 10-10-05 Judith Wilson David Pipe Johnny Farrelly
37) 0P/50PP-0 CERIUM (FR) 8-10-05 Judith Wilson Paul Murphy Keith Mercer
38) 050-2403 IDLE TALK (IRE) 10-10-05 Trevor Hemmings Donald McCain Jnr Brian Harding
39) 0F2U6-P00 KELAMI (FR) 11-10-05 Halewood International Ltd Lisa Williamson Derek Laverty
40) 0/232P5/- ZABENZ (NZ) 12-10-05 Michael Watt & Sarah Hobbs Philip Hobbs Tom O’Brien
FOUR RESERVES NAMED - reserves can only be utilised if any of the above 40 horses is officially withdrawn before 9.30am on Friday, April 3
r1) 2U41U-02 MALJIMAR (IRE) 9-10-04 Jane Williams Nick Williams Daryl Jacob
r2) 211-1113 COMPANERO (IRE) 9-10-03 W M G Black Howard Johnson Peter Buchanan
r3) 0333P0P IRON MAN (FR) 8-10-03 Roddy Owen & Paul Fullagar Peter Bowen -
r4) 4B0-4000F PATSY HALL (IRE) 9-10-02 C P Byrne Tony Martin IRE Robert Colgan
MY WILL REMAINS MARKET FAVOURITE AS TOP 40 STAND THEIR GROUND FOR THE JOHN SMITH’S GRAND NATIONAL
The first 40 horses in the weights for Saturday’s John Smith’s Grand National have all been declared at the 48-hour stage with the Paul Nicholls-trained favourite My Will eased slightly to 15/2 by totesport. Butler’s Cabin, who is the chosen mount of champion jockey AP McCoy, is second favourite at 9/1 and Keith Reveley’s first National runner Rambling Minster is 11/1.
George Primarolo, spokesman for Aintree’s official betting partner totesport, said: "I would imagine My Will is going to go off favourite given the fact that Ruby Walsh is on him but now we know that AP McCoy is on Butler’s Cabin, he’ll have his supporters and I’ll be absolutely amazed if one of those two is not favourite on Saturday.
"There’s been a good spread of money throughout the week and it’s been a case of a different horse for a different day: Parsons Legacy has been popular and there’s been money for State Of Play. Darkness was backed at the beginning of the week and, of course, there was the gamble on L’Ami last week. The Irish horses have been drifting and I think that’s because of the forecast good ground. Hear The Echo has been the best supported of the Irish raiders over the last few days."
John Smith’s Grand National - totesport betting:
My Will 15/2, Butler’s Cabin 9/1, Rambling Minster 11/1, State Of Play 12/1, Black Apalachi 14/1, Hear The Echo 14/1, Big Fella Thanks 16/1, Comply Or Die 16/1, Southern Vic 16/1, Parsons Legacy 16/1, L’Ami 20/1, Darkness 20/1, Irish Invader 20/1, Kilbeggan Blade 25/1, Snowy Morning 25/1, Himalayan Trail 25/1, Brooklyn Brownie 25/1, Chelsea Harbour 33/1, Cloudy Lane 33/1, Cornish Sett 33/1, Offshore Account 33/1, Can’t Buy Time 40/1, Preists Leap 40/1, Battlecry 50/1, Golden Flight 50/1, Idle Talk 50/1, Knowhere 50/1, Mon Mome 50/1, Silver Birch 50/1, Eurotrek 66/1, Fleet Street 66/1, Arteea100/1, Fundamentalist 100/1, Kelami 100/1, Musica Bella 100/1, Ollie Magern 100/1, Reveillez 100/1, Stan 100/1, Zabenz 100/1, Cerium 200/1. RESERVES: Maljimar 25/1, Companero 50/1, Patsy Hall 66/1, Iron Man 100/1.
First four places a quarter the odds.
TOTESPORT’S JOHN SMITH’S GRAND NATIONAL SPECIALS
Irish-trained winner 2/1
Irish-trained 1-2 7/1
Donald McCain Jr-trained winner 25/1
Paul Nicholls-trained winner 9/2
Previous Grand National winner (Aintree) to win again 14/1
11st and above 11/10
Under 11st 4/6
Win only, all quoted
Number of finishers:
8 or fewer 20/1
9-12 (incl) 5/1
13-16 (incl) 5/2
17-20 (incl) 5/2
21-25 (incl) 10/3
26-30 (incl) 8/1
31 or more 33/1
0-1.5 lengths (incl) 3/1
Over 1.5 lengths to 3 lengths 11/4
Over 3 lengths to 10 lengths 2/1
Over 10 lengths 3/1
Win only, all quoted.
Irish-trained winner of the Grand National:
Black Apalachi 5/1, Hear The Echo 5/1, Southern Vic 6/1, Irish Invader 7/1, L’Ami 7/1, Himalayan Trail 8/1, Snowy Morning 8/1, Chelsea Harbour 10/1, Offshore Account 10/1, Preists Leap 14/1, Silver Birch 16/1.
Each-way 1/5 the odds a place 1-2-3 all quoted.
David Pipe National specials:
Comply Or Die to finish in the first four 4/1
David Pipe to train the winner 14/1
David Pipe to train a horse placed in the first four 7/2
All specials singles only.